Monday, 22 May 2017

The Cock and the Hen in the Nutwood

The cock and the hen went, upon a time, to the nutwood to pick nuts.

Then the hen got a nutshell stuck in her throat, and lay, flapping her wings. The cock would fetch some water for her, so he ran to the spring and said: “My dear spring, give me some water; I will give the water to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no water from me before I have some leaves from you,” replied the spring.

So the cock ran to the linden: “My dear linden, give me some leaves; the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no leaves from me before I have some red-gold bands from you,” replied the linden.

So the cock ran to the Virgin Mary: “My dear Virgin Mary, give me some red-gold bands; the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no red-gold bands from me before I have some shoes from you,” replied the Virgin Mary.

So the cock ran to the shoemaker: “My dear shoemaker, give me some shoes; the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no shoes from me before I have some bristles from you,” replied the shoemaker.

So the cock ran to the sow: “My dear sow, give me some bristles; the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no bristles from me before I have some grain from you,” replied the sow.

So the cock ran to the thresher: “My dear thresher, give me some grain; the grain I will give to the sow, the sow will give me some bristles, the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no grain from me before I have a lefse from you,” replied the thresher.

So the cock ran to the baker-woman: “My dear baker-woman, give me a lefse; the lefse I will give to the thresher, the thresher will give me some grain, the grain I will give to the sow, the sow will give me some bristles, the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no lefse from me before I have some wood from you,” replied the baker-woman.

So the cock ran to the woodcutter: “My dear woodcutter, give me some wood; the wood I will give to the baker woman, the baker woman will give me a lefse, the lefse I will give to the thresher, the thresher will give me some grain, the grain I will give to the sow, the sow will give me some bristles, the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no wood from me before I have an axe from you,” replied the woodcutter.

So the cock ran to the smith: “My dear smith, give me an axe; the axe I will give to the woodcutter, the woodcutter will give me some wood, the wood I will give to the baker woman, the baker woman will give me a lefse, the lefse I will give to the thresher, the thresher will give me some grain, the grain I will give to the sow, the sow will give me some bristles, the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

“You will have no axe from me before I have some coke from you,” replied the smith.

So the cock ran to the cokeburner: “My dear cokeburner, give me some coke; the coke I will give to the smith, the smith will give me an axe, the axe I will give to the woodcutter, the woodcutter will give me some wood, the wood I will give to the baker woman, the baker woman will give me a lefse, the lefse I will give to the thresher, the thresher will give me some grain, the grain I will give to the sow, the sow will give me some bristles, the bristles I will give to the shoemaker, the shoemaker will give me some shoes, the shoes I will give to the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary will give me some red-gold bands, the red-gold bands I will give to the linden, the linden will give me some leaves, the leaves I will give to the spring, the spring will give me some water, the water I will give to Tuppa, my hen, who lies dying in the nutwood.”

So the coke-burner felt sorry for the cock, and gave him some coke, so the smith got coke, and the woodcutter an axe, and the baker-woman wood, and the thresher a lefse, and the sow grain, and the shoemaker bristles, and the Virgin Mary shoes, and the linden red-gold bands, and the spring leaves, and the cock water; and this he gave to Tuppa, his hen, who lay dying in the nutwood—and she got well again.

No comments:

Post a Comment