Thursday, 26 May 2016

Domerneks

This #FolkloreThursday, I have translated a tale from Rana, in the county of Nordland. Circular tales embed a tale within the tale as many times as there are rounds. They also last for as long as the teller and the audience will allow, which means that this is simultaneously one of the shortest and one of the longest texts I have ever worked on.

Domerneks

There was once a man who travelled in a land. There he met a beast called Domerneks. Then said Domerneks:

“Would you not like me to tell you a tale?”

“Indeed, yes,” answered the man.

So Domerneks told a tale of a man who travelled in a land. There he met a beast called Domerneks. Then said Domerneks:

“Would you not like me to tell you a tale?”

“Indeed, yes,” answered the man.

So Domerneks told a tale of a man who travelled in a land...

My mother in law chuckled, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment