Friday, 1 January 2016

Staking Out a Course for 2016

I started using this blog in earnest when I discovered the #FolkloreThursday hashtag on Twitter, in early October. Since that time, I have had more than 1300 hits. It is obvious to me that there is an audience for Norwegian folktales, however far down the long tail distribution of readership it might be found.

This year, I will still focus on translating the folktales, and writing about them; however, I will be investigating the possibility of placing my translations with a traditional publisher, which will be a new experience for me.

In the meantime, here is what I have to keep me busy in this new year:

Editing and revision

  • Soria Moria Slott” (“Soria Moria Palace”)
  • På høyden av Aleksandria” (“On the Height of Alexandria”, or “On the Alexandrian Height”)

First draft preparation

  • Huldreætt” (“Hulder-kin”)
  • Mattias skytters historier” (“Matthias the Shooter’s Stories”)
  • Elias og draugen” (“Elias and the Draug”. This tale is not from Asbjørnsen and Moe, but embedded in Den fremsynte, eller billeder fra Nordland (The Visionary, or Pictures from Nordland) the first novel of the Norwegian realist Jonas Lie, from 1870.)

Articles

  • On the collections I am translating, the men who collected the tales, and how they collected them
  • On the people who spread folktales
  • On my translation compared with previous translations
  • On Christmas in Norwegian folktales

See you next Thursday.


Edit 2016-01-26:
“Soria Moria Palace” is now in final draft, and has been uploaded. I will release it on Thursday (2016-01-28).
Edit 2016-01-17:
“Hulder-kin” is now in final draft, and has been uploaded. I will release it on Thursday (2016-01-21).
Edit 2016-01-11:
Finished article on the tellers of the tales.
Edit 2016-01-09:
Finished preparing a first draft of “Hulder-kin”. It is a charming tale, and has risen to the top of my list for being so.

No comments:

Post a Comment